IGTV is the abbreviation for Instagram TV. This app is intended for watching long-form, vertical videos. It is basically the extended version of the primary Instagram app. For 13 years, Google-owned YouTube has dominated the video-sharing market with over 1.6 billion active users as per January 2018 and 30 million active users daily. In a recent survey, it was found that 300 videos are uploaded on YouTube every minute. It is also available in 88 countries in 76 languages. No other video sharing platform was able to give a tough fight to YouTube.
But things started changing from June 20, 2018, when Instagram launched the IGTV. Many analysts from all around the globe started believing that YouTube got its long-awaited competitor. Following are the reasons why IGTV cannot be taken lightly:
- There are over 500 million daily active users on Instagram.
- Around 90 million photos get uploaded on Instagram each day.
- 32% of all Internet users are on Instagram.
- When Instagram introduced videos, 5 million videos were uploaded in the first 24 hours.
Going by the demographics, IGTV has the platform and audience to give a tough fight to YouTube.
If you are someone, who is trying to figure out how to use IGTV, here is my small nifty tips and tricks that will guide you to start your IGTV journey.
No Need To Download Any New App To Use IGTV
Unlike YouTube where one has to download the YouTube app or visit its site to have access to its content, you can have access to IGTV from your Instagram app as well without feeling the need to download the new app. Just make sure your Instagram running on the latest build. One can find the IGTV option on the top right corner of the Instagram app in orange and red gradient. Note that you cannot use IGTV on anything other than your smartphone.
Video Format For IGTV
All the videos are in mp4 format and in an aspect ratio between 4:5 to 9:16. The maximum file size of an IGTV video can go up to 5.4 GB.
So, if you are interested in uploading videos from your channel in IGTV, make sure you satisfy the above-mentioned criteria.
How To Interact Within IGTV?
One can like, comment and share a video as they do with other contents on the main Instagram app. One thing to note is that you can enjoy uninterrupted streaming of a video while commenting on it. This feature is not available on Instagram and might be adopted from YouTube.
Who Are Eligible To Create Channel On IGTV?
Anyone who is 12+ in age can create his/her channel on IGTV. The eligibility criteria are very similar to YouTube. To create a channel of yours, follow these steps:
- Open IGTV from the Instagram app or its specific app.
- On the main screen, tap on a rough-edged circle icon.
- Tap on “Create Channel.”
How To Upload Videos on IGTV?
Once you have your channel created, follow these steps to upload your first video on IGTV:
- Open IGTV.
- Slide up on the main screen of IGTV.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Tap on the “+” icon.
- Select a video from your device storage that meets the requirements mentioned above.
- Add Title, Description and a Cover Picture for the video.
- Tap on the “Post” button to upload the video.
Congratulations! You just got your first video uploaded on IGTV.
How To Look After Your Video’s Engagement?
- Open the IGTV app or the Instagram app to view your IGTV profile.
- Tap on the video for which you want to find the insights.
- Press the three-dot menu button and select “Insights.”
- You will be able to view details such as Views, Likes, and Comments made on that video.
Is It Better Than YouTube?
At such an early stage, it is really hard to jump to conclusions. It will be great if you be the judge and let us know in the comments section below.