I am quite impressed by the way OnePlus updated its latest flagship to Android 9 Pie. Honestly speaking, I was not anticipating the Android Pie launch on any OnePlus device until the launch of OnePlus 6T which is expected to launch on October 17. With the official release of Oxygen OS 9.0 based on Android 9.0 Pie for OnePlus 6, OnePlus became the 3rd OEM after Google and Essential to roll out the stable version of Android 9. It is quite an incredible feat as it is the only manufacturer with a custom skin on top of stock Android to roll out the update.
According to the official statement of OnePlus, the Oxygen OS 9.0 update brings the following changes:
- Updated system to Android 9.0 Pie
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- New adaptive battery support
- New Android Pie gesture navigation
- Updated Android security patch to September 2018
- Other new features and system improvements
- Do Not Disturb mode
- New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Accent color
- Supported accent color customization
This update also brings in Google’s controversial change in Android’s design language. The horizontal recent apps screen replaces the conventional and traditional vertical recent apps screen and many people are not happy with this change. The reason behind the dissatisfaction of many Android fans is the fact that the new recent apps tray looks a lot like the one found on its arch-rival iOS.
If you are someone who is not liking the change, there is a way to fix it and bring back the traditional vertical recent apps menu on your OnePlus 6.
Steps to bring back Vertical Recent Apps Menu on the OnePlus 6
- Install any third party launcher on your OnePlus 6 like the Rootless Launcher, Nova Launcher or Lean Launcher and set it as your default launcher.
- Next, open the Settings app and head over to Apps and Notifications and search for the OnePlus Launcher. Once found, tap on it and uninstall the updates.
- Now, download the following apk file and sideload it on your OnePlus 6.
- Once done with the installation, set it as your default launcher and you are done.
Congratulations! You just changed the horizontal recent apps menu to the traditional vertical recent apps menu.
This is the way to bring back the vertical recent apps menu on the OnePlus 6 without root. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.