If you are one of the users of Verizon Google Pixel XL or Pixel phones and want to unlock the bootloader, this is the perfect article for you. You will be guided on how to easily unlock the bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices that were released in 2016.
If you had purchased your Pixel or Pixel XL phones from Verizon shortly after they were launched, you had a brief opportunity where you could unlock the bootloader. If you missed this initial opportunity and took software updates that followed, you were out of luck and only then able to pick up official updates. But, if you bought a Verizon Pixel or Pixel XL at any time in recent months, there has been no method to fully open up your phone until now.
Verizon has been one of the strictest companies when it comes to practice and the Pixel Phones have been bootloader locked almost since day one. However, recently we heard from XDA Developers that they have come up with a set of instructions that will help you to unlock Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL Bootloader.
Method to unlock the Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL Bootloader was revealed by XDA members Leo TheRomRasta and Qu3ntin0 and later XDA senior member burduli laid down incredibly easy and exact steps on how to carry out the procedure. These steps are confirmed to be effective working on the Verizon Google Pixel running Android 8.1 oreo and Android P Developer preview 2. So, if you are interested in unlocking the bootloader on your Google Pixel and Pixel XL, go ahead with this guide.
- Remember that this process will completely erase the data on your phone and its essential to have a backup. So ensure to take a full backup of the data on the device as well as the internal storage.
- Make sure that your phone is fully charged before starting the process so as to avoid any disturbance during the unlock process.
- You will have to download and install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. During this process, we shall be referring to “C:adb”, which is the folder on the PC where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
Remember, it’s extremely important for you to fulfill the above requirements before starting the procedure to unlock the bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL phone.
Guide to unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel devices
Before starting the process you have to first prepare your device for the process, in order to do so follow the below steps.
Preparing the device
- You will have to remove Lockscreen security on your device. Go to Settings > Security & location. Click on the ‘screen lock’ menu and choose the lock type as ‘None’ or ‘Swipe’.
- Don’t forget to remove your Google Accounts by going to ‘settings’ and tap on ‘Accounts’. Select the Google accounts and remove them from ‘Remove account’ option on the screen.
- Eject Sim card from your device.
- Now, factory Reset your device by going to settings > Reset options and select ‘Reset all data’. When your phone boots, remember to skip the setup wizard and DO NOT connect to WiFi or add a fingerprint or any type of lock screen.
Unlock Verizon Google Pixel and Pixel XL Bootloader
- Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging. If the “Developer option” isn’t available in “settings”, go to Settings> About phone and click on “Build number” multiple times till you enable the Developer Option feature.
- Connect your device to your Computer using a USB cable. It’s recommended using the one which came with your device.
- Head to C:abd on your computer.
- Now hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Click on “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Uninstall the Phone app using the following ADB command:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
- When uninstalled, restart your pixel device.
- Connect your device to Wi-Fi, open up Chrome and go to any website like www.google.com
- Go to Settings > System > Developer options and enable ‘OEM unlocking’.
- Switch off your device.
- Now enter into Bootloader mode by Holding the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously.
- Again connect your device to your Computer.
- To unlock the bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel, enter the below command in the PowerShell window:
fastboot flashing unlock
- Your device will show a unlock warning prompt, select ‘yes’ to confirm unlocking.
- At last, you will have to reboot your Google Pixel or Pixel XL using:
After completion of the process the phone will be wiped clean and once you boot into the OS, you can easily set up your device as normal.
ATTENTION: In the original post, the XDA member says that the official Phone app (com.android.phone) on the Google Pixel and Pixel XL checks whether the device shouldn’t have access to OEM unlocking at first start. However, completely resetting the phone, skipping the setup wizard and disabling WiFi connection will prevent the phone app from contacting the servers. After this, you can uninstall the app using the ADB command.
When the SIM card is removed and the phone app is disabled, then it never gets a chance to perform the check and hence you will have access to unlock the Bootloader.
So that’s it, now you have a Verizon Pixel or Pixel XL with an unlocked bootloader. But what you need to understand it that unlocking the bootloader voids most warranties and can cause stability issues. This issue can be eliminated by following this easy guide carefully and if you know what you’re doing you can enjoy flashing different operating systems on your device.