Google launched the Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL at an event in New York on October 9, 2018. The smaller pixel sports a 5.5 inch Full HD Plus AMOLED display while the larger Pixel sports in a larger 6.3 inch Quad HD Plus AMOLED display. Both are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 clocked at 2.5 GHz and it comes with 4 GB of RAM. Internal storage is at 64 or 128 GB which is not expandable. In the camera department, the Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL pack a 12.2 megapixel (f/1.8, 1.4 microns) primary sensor with OIS and dual pixel autofocus on the rear. The selfie duties are handled by dual sensors on the front an 8 megapixel (f/1.8) primary lens and another 8 megapixels (f/2.2) wide-angle secondary lens. It runs on Android Pie 9.0 out of the box. The Pixel 3 has a 2915 mAH battery while the Pixel 3 XL gas a 3430 mAH battery with support for fast charging and wireless charging. Both the phones are IP68 rated for dust and water resistance.
Disclaimer: Rooting your device will require you to unlock your bootloader. In most cases, this will effectively void your device warranty. That said, unlocking bootloader/rooting are complex processes and may not always produce the desired results. Know what you are doing and always have a backup before proceeding. The author or ThemeFoxx cannot be held responsible in case anything unexpected happens to your device. Remember, you are warned.
- Make sure you have enough charge left on your device. A minimum of 70% is recommended.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. Guide: Guide to Backup Android Device Without Root
- Make sure you have latest ADB and Fastboot tool installed on your Mac/Windows/Linux.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking in the Developer Options.
Steps To Unlock The Bootloader Of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
- Power Off your phone and boot into the bootloader mode by holding the power and volume down button simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a data transmission or USB cable.
- Go to the location where ADB and Fastboot tools are installed on your PC. Open a PowerShell window there by holding the shift key while you tap the right mouse button.
- Now type the following command to ensure that your phone and PC are connected successfully.
- If the command returns the device ID, your connection is perfect. Now, unlock the bootloader of your phone by typing the following command.
.fastboot flashing unlock
- Once you enter the above command, your phone’s screen should turn on displaying certain commands. You have to use your volume up and down key to select “Unlock the bootloader” command. Once selected, press the power button to confirm.
- Once the bootloader is unlocked, you will get back to the bootloader mode. Now, type the following command to reboot your phone normally.
.fastboot flashing unlock
And you are done with unlocking the bootloader of your Pixel 3 or 3 XL. You can disconnect your phone from your PC.
Steps To Root The Pixel 3 Or The Pixel 3 XL
- Download the latest Magisk Manager APK file from the link appearing below and sideload it in your phone.
- Download the stock boot image of your respective phone and store them somewhere in your phone’s internal storage. Note not to download the wrong boot image.
- Open the Magisk Manager app from your phone and tap on the menu icon from the top left corner of your display. It is in the shape three bars placed horizontally.
- Tap on “Settings” followed by a tap on the “Patched Boot Output Format” option and select “.img.”
- From the home screen of the Magisk Manager app, tap on “Install” followed by a tap on “Install” again and then select “Patch Boot Image File.”
- Now, navigate to the location where you have stored the file that you downloaded in step 2 and tap on it. The patching procedure should continue.
- Now, connect your phone with your PC and transfer the ‘patched_boot.img’ file from the phone’s internal storage to the folder where the fastboot tools are installed. Power off your phone.
- Open PowerShell window in the fastboot folder like you did while unlocking the bootloader.
- Boot your phone into the bootloader mode by holding the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Enter the following commands in the PowerShell Window to root your Pixel 3 or 3 XL.
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
- Once the flashing procedure completes, type the following commands to boot your phone normally.
And you are done! You can disconnect your phone from your PC.
Congratulations! You just successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted your Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3 XL.
Recommended: Best Magisk Modules for Android 
This is the easiest way to unlock the bootloader and root the Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3 XL. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.