TWRP for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus is now out. Galaxy S9 TWRP helps you take full control of your device. It also helps to root your device and to flash custom ROMs and several other MODs. Read ahead to know how to install TWRP on Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus are the best Samsung have to offer at the moment. After releasing the devices for a long time, Samsung finally unveiled the devices a couple of weeks ago. And it turned out that all the rumors were, indeed, true. The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus were a minor upgrade over Samsung’s last year’s flagship devices. There are only a very few updates we see in the devices. The new camera, upgraded processor, and AR Emojis seem to be the only new features in the latest flagships. Things are even worse for the Galaxy S9 as only the Galaxy S9 Plus gets the dual camera while Galaxy S9 is stuck with single camera hardware.
If you have purchased one of the latest flagships from Samsung and are looking for a way to install a custom recovery on them, we have got you covered. Read ahead to know how to install Galaxy S9 TWRP Recovery.
Galaxy S9 Plus/Galaxy S9 TWRP Recovery
While a lot of OEMs are really sportive about community development for their devices, Samsung still has a lot to improve on this front. For example, Samsung is locking down their phones with more security features (Samsung Knox) with every new release and it makes the developer’s life hard.
Nonetheless, our community of developers over at XDA Forums have been delivering some exceptional work and now they have managed to get official TWRP for Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus.
- Galaxy S9:
- Galaxy S9+:
See Also | 50 Best Root Apps for Android
- You need to have ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC. Get it here: Download and Install ADB and Fastboot.
- This process will completely wipe all the data on your device. It is a good thing to make a complete backup of your device. Refer the below guide: Guide to backup your device without root.
- Download Official Samsung USB Drivers: Download Samsung USB Drivers.
- Your device needs to have 60% charge at the least, just in case!
Download Galaxy S9/S9 Plus TWRP Recovery
You can download the latest TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus by clicking below:
Note: Be sure to download the file with .tar extension. .img file will NOT WORK.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9/S9+
- Enable OEM Unlock:
- Go to Settings > About phone, and then tap ‘Build number’ 7 times or until you see the ‘you’re now a developer’ message pop up.
- Now go back to Settings, and into Developer options. Now, look for OEM Unlock, and select it using its toggle button.
- Download the latest Odin from here. Download Odin 3.13.1. Extract the downloaded ODIN zip file on your PC. You will get an ODIN .exe file in a folder.
- Download and install the latest Samsung USB Drivers from here: Download Samsung USB Drivers.
- Reboot Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus to download mode:
- Switch off your device. Wait for a few seconds to make sure the device is completely turned off.
- Press and hold Bixby Button + Volume Down Button and then press the Power Button.
- The phone will instantly boot into a blue screen. You can let go of all the buttons.
- Now press the Volume Up button once to get into Download Mode.
- Double click on the Odin.exe file and place the downloaded Galaxy S9/S9 Plus TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.
IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Re-partition and Auto Reboot checkboxes are NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either.
- Connect your Galaxy S9/S9 Plus to your PC via USB Cable.
- Hold Volume Up + Bixby + Power Button on your phone and then press start on Odin.
- Wait for the phone to reboot. Do not release Volume Up + Bixby + Power Button on your phone or you may not be able to reboot into TWRP.
- After reboot, the device will now reboot into TWRP. You will see a screen where you will be asked whether to allow /system modification. DO NOT swipe. Select ‘Keep system Read Only‘. ((Don’t swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
- Inside TWRP > Select Wipe > Tap on Format Data and type in YES to continue.
- In TWRP home, tap on Reboot and then select Recovery.
- Download no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star.zip which helps disable force encryption among other things.
- Copy the Zip file to your device. To do this, simply connect your device to your PC while you are still in TWRP and simply copy/paste the zip file to your phone. Just like any other normal file copy.
- Go to Install > Select the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star.zip > Flash the zip file.
- Congratulations, now you have successfully installed and configured TWRP for Galaxy S9/S9 Plus.
That will be all. This is the easiest way to install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9/S9 Plus. Now you can proceed to root your device by flashing Magisk or SuperSU on your Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus!