We got the first glimpse of the Always On Display on the Nokia N86 way back in 2009 which later became a standard feature in the Nokia Lumia lineup. The feature has become widely popular since its introduction in the Samsung Galaxy S7 in 2016. Over the years, it has made available on many Android handsets including Motorola (Moto X, Moto Z), LG (G5, G6, V30), Samsung (Galaxy S7, S8, S9, Note 8, Note 9) and the Google Pixel 2/2 XL. A phone with AOD enabled keeps a limited portion of the screen on during the sleep mode. As the screen is active almost all the time, it is not common with devices with LCD panels as LCDs keep the entire panel active whereas, in the AMOLED technology, the pixels in the blacked part of the screen are turned off and hence it consumes very less power as compared to the LCD counterparts.
For the last couple of years, OnePlus has been offering great products that pack in flagship features at a price that is much lower than the traditional flagships. Apart from the flagship processor, good cameras and build, they also provide very well calibrated AMOLED display panels. Though they pack in AMOLED displays in their products, the people’s favorite Always On Display has been missing. There were many speculations that an update will bring this feature to the eligible devices but this did not happen. Later on, OnePlus clarified that they do not intend to provide the Always On Display feature as it may take a toll on the battery life. If you are someone who is wishing to get this feature on his/her OnePlus 6/5T/5, here is a guide for the same.
How To Enable The Always On Display
It is recommended to take a complete backup of your device. Follow this guide to take a complete backup of your device.
- Your device must be rooted using Magisk.
- Download the OnePlus AOD Enabler magisk by XDA senior member saccentekennedy by clicking on the link appearing below.
- Now, open the Magisk Manager app from your app drawer.
- Once opened, tap on the menu button from the upper left corner and then tap on modules.
- Tap on the “+” icon and navigate to the location where you have stored the downloaded module ZIP file (OP5_AOD_Enabler.zip) from step 1.
- Once the module is installed, reboot your device.
- After the device boots back, open Settings, tap on display followed by a tap on ambient display and toggle on Lift up display. Next tap on Always on.
And you are done. If you find the AOD on your OnePlus phone to be lack luster, here is a guide on customizing it.
How To Customise The Always On Display on OnePlus phones
- Your phone must be running on Android 8.1 Oreo.
- You must have the Substratum Engine installed on your device.
- Sideload the following files on your phone. For a guide on how to sideload apps on phones running android oreo, click here.
- Once the above process is completed, open the Substratum app from the app drawer.
- Tap on the Themes tab and you must find the Digit Customizer, Text Customizer and Modifier overlays.
- Tap on the required overlay to customize it.
- Once all your customization work is done, tap on the circular icon from the lower right corner of your screen and then tap on Build & Enable to install the changes.
Congratulations! You just successfully enabled and customized the Always On Display feature on your OnePlus phone.
This is the easiest way to enable and customize the Always On Display feature on your OnePlus phone. I hope this article works the way it is intended to be. Let us know about your experience trying out the methods mentioned in this article in the comments section down below. In case I missed mentioning anything or if there is some topic which you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section down below.